Learn the Differences Between Natural and Lab-Created Diamonds
September 25th, 2021
Gone are the days where lab-created diamonds were easily dismissed and thought of as inferior to natural diamonds. Now, lab-created stones offer the same level of brilliance and fire as naturally occurring diamonds.
In your search for the perfect diamond, you'll likely have to choose between natural or lab-grown. While both are excellent choices, there are a few factors you must consider. Our guide can help you decide on the perfect stone for you.
Natural vs Lab-Created Diamonds: Is There a Difference?
In today's diamond market, lab-grown diamonds are identical in all aspects to mined diamonds. Even with a jewelry loupe, it is nearly impossible to tell the difference between the two. Only with specialized equipment can you tell the difference. Lab-grown diamonds, like mined diamonds, receive a gem certification to determine their cut, clarity, and color.
How are Lab-Grown Diamonds Made?
Unlike mined diamonds, lab-grown diamonds are made in a lab setting. There are two main methods of production:
- HPHT (high pressure/high temperature) mimics the conditions under the Earth's crust and subjects carbon to high pressures and temperatures.
- CVD (chemical vapor deposition) places a diamond seed with hydrogen and methane gas in a chamber. As the chamber is heated at a high temperature, the diamond seed grows.
Pros and Cons of Natural and Lab-Created Diamonds
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing the right diamond for you. Natural and lab-grown diamonds can meet a variety of needs.
Natural diamonds are the classic choice but let’s take a closer look at the true reasons you might choose this stone.
- Rarity: Natural diamonds are one-of-a-kind creations made within the Earth over a billion years ago.
- High market value: A natural diamond’s resale value may remain higher for longer than lab-grown diamonds.
- Evoke a rich tradition: Natural diamonds are timeless. Choosing a natural diamond can connect you with a rich heritage of jewelry-making.
- Price Tag: Compared to lab-grown diamonds, natural diamonds are significantly more expensive.
- Sourcing: Mining can be a much less sustainable method of production than growing a diamond seed in a lab.
*At Rogers Jewelry Co. we actively participate in and support initiatives such as the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme (KPCS), the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC), the World Diamond Council (WDC) and the Diamond Development Initiative International (DDII) to ensure the ethical-sourcing of every diamond in our inventory.
Lab-grown diamonds are quickly gaining popularity among ethically and environmentally conscious couples.
- Responsibly sourced: Lab-grown diamonds do not affect the environment as much as natural diamonds and don't produce mineral waste.
- Affordable: Lab-grown diamonds can cost up to 40% less than mined diamonds.
- Breathtaking: They feature the same physical, chemical, and optical characteristics as natural diamonds.
- Depreciate in value: Over time, their value can depreciate faster than natural diamonds’ value.
- Do not support mining communities: Mining communities do not receive the financial support and job growth of the natural diamond mining industry.
- They require a lot of energy: Some labs may use a great amount of energy to create a lab-grown diamond, although some manufacturers have carbon-neutral operations.
Lab-Grown Diamonds FAQs
You've got questions. We've got answers. Here are the most frequently asked questions about lab-grown diamonds.
How Long Do Lab-Grown Diamonds Last?
Just like natural diamonds, lab-grown diamonds can last forever as long as you take care of them.
Are Simulated Diamonds the Same as Lab-Grown Diamonds?
Diamond simulants, such as cubic zirconia and moissanite, are different from lab-grown diamonds. Simulants may look like diamonds but they are not true carbon crystals. Instead, they have different chemical and physical properties.
Can You Insure Lab-Grown Diamonds?
Yes, lab-created diamonds can be insured like natural diamonds.
Are Lab-Grown Diamonds Flawless?
Just like mined diamonds, lab-grown diamonds vary in cut, clarity, and color. All diamonds have varying levels of inclusions. These minor flaws are assessed by independent gemological labs with the same standards as natural diamond evaluations.
Set Up a Diamond Consultation with Rogers Jewelry Co.
Are you ready to find the diamond of your dreams? Set up a diamond consultation with one of our jewelry professionals at Rogers Jewelry Co. Visit any one of our locations in Modesto, San Luis Obispo, Bakersfield, Folsom, Fresno, Reno, and Elk Grove, and we can help you make a more informed purchase. If you have any questions before your visit, give us a call at 1-800-733-1874 or send an email to email@example.com.